Old 31-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Penelope Periwinkle

Default Late Blight?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 00:05:16 +0000, Hunter77
wrote:

The causes were probably the
cool, humid weather, the fact they were planted close together, lack of
nutrients stressing the plants, and most importantly, the mistake of
planting tomatoes in the same location for 2 consecutive seasons.

For home gardeners, there sometimes isn't much choice but to plant in
the same place for consecutive seasons. I have a large lot by the
standards of the area I'm in, but the areas I can put in a vegetable
garden are limited. Raised beds offer some relief, as I can dig out
the soil and replace it every couple or few years, but I'd have to do
without a garden to avoid consecutive plantings.

The advice some of these garden sites give is really unhelpful, but
that's a peeve for another time.

Anyways, can cuttings be taken from non-infected branches? Can late
blight spread to peppers? Is there a (practical) way to sterilize the
soil so tomatoes can be grown next year?

http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...atoblight.html

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/3102.html

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/cropprot/pcapsici.htm

http://plant-disease.ippc.orst.edu/d...?RecordID=1084

Late blight is not much of a problem around here, so I have no
experience with it. A quick google on the subject gives some
conflicting information, too.

Good Luck!

Penelope