Old 31-10-2005, 06:21 PM
ems

Default Moving Bamboo

W just recently sold our house in Portland OR. Although everyone told
us we should remove the bamboo grove I have ben tending in the back
yard prior to putting the house on the market because it would scare
prospective buyers off, we did not, and it became one of the house's
hottest selling points. I put a clause in the contract that I could
claim a couple of samples from the bamboo grove for our new place and a
couple of weeks ago, we went over and dug some up. Due to some nice new
rhizomes in a slightly rasied area and some nice soft soil, we got a
nice stand of Phyllostachys aurea, about an inch thick and several
mature stalks of Phyllostachys dulcis about two inches thick, along
with sizable root balls. We also ended up taking two large and
seemingly vibrant root balls of the dulcis with no stalks.
Originally we planned on cutting the plants back to about eight feet
for transport, but at the last moment we decided to throw caution to
the winds and take the plants in their entirity. The trip lasted about
ten minutes and the plants were back in the ground within an hour.

Now comes the question. Everyday the leaves curl up like the plant is
going to die, and every night they open back up again. Ground is moist,
drainage is good. What are my chances that these plants will establish
and what can I do to help them along? Lastly will the extensive
rhizomes planted with no visible shoots have any chance of survival?

Advice is welcome.

Eliot