Old 31-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Phil L

Default Sprout grazers

In ,
Kase typed:
:: "tenchman" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi group,
::: How I love my home grown sprouts, yet every year I spend hours
::: keeping the caterpillars at bay, and come to this time of year when
::: I start harvesting, (just enough for a meal each time) I find that
::: the best of the sprouts have been grazed.
:::
::: I assumed that is was being done by slugs, yet I never see them on
::: the plants, I've put down slug pellets and there is little sign of
::: dead slugs, and the grazing continues, just enough to make the
::: sprouts un-appetising. and I end up dumping more that I get.
:::
::: Is this a common occurrence? do all sprout growers suffer? Has
::: anyone a cure?
:::
::: My thanks to all those that take the time to reply.
:::
::: David
:::
::
::
:: Well, I picked my first sprouts yesterday and found that many of
:: them had been nibbled. I noticed that it is worse at the bottom of
:: the plant and gets less of a problem higher up. When I was preparing
:: the sprouts I found a few slugs actually inside little cavities that
:: they had eaten out. Thankfully, most of the sprouts had developed
:: enough to salvage a decent few meals out of them even after throwing
:: away the outer layers. The slugs were the tiny creamy/white ones
:: that I'm convinced do not eat pellets!!
::
:: Anyway, any control suggestions would be appreciated here as well.
::
:: Kase

Share and share alike!
Seriously, you can't stop slugs and snails from chewing the sprouts so I've
found the best way is to leave them until they get a bit bigger (after a
frost), then pick them and remove a few outer leaves from each one, then
place in cold sal****er for an hour to get rid of any lurkers, rinse and
cook.