Old 01-11-2005, 07:44 AM
Travis

Default Pruning Columnar roses (Lloyd Center)

Sandye wrote:
Hi...can I do a light pruning on my columnar roses( Lloyd
Center
Pink)..here in SW Washington? They are taller than the
supporing 6
" fence and wind is really gonna play havoc with them this
winter...

Concern is if I do a light pruning now will they still try to
grow
rather than go into normal dormant stage...

What is worst case scenario..will I end up with black dead ends
that
will get pruned off come February...or am I risking killing
them
due to frost on tender cut ends...

We haven't had a frost here yet and probably wont until middle
end of November...

So do I try pruning now or wait until frost or wait until
February?

I would minimally prune them now to protect them from the winds
and do the real pruning in the spring.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5