Old 01-11-2005, 08:42 AM
J Fortuna

Default half of all my orchids: in spike or in bloom!!!

I am in the Washington DC area, where it has been quite rainy recently.

In addition, I live in a ground floor condo that is against a hill and has
unusually high humidity (I think). The environmental conditions in this
condo are quite different than in the apartment that we used to live in
befo in the summer it was not nearly as hot and therefore there was much
less need for air conditioning except to keep the humidity at bay, and we
expect that in the winter this place will probably require less heating than
our previous place did -- which is good since unlike in the previous place
the utilities are our responsibility. The two bathrooms which are against
the hill and thus have no windows have conditions that are similar enough to
a cave that we've actually got cave crickets (also called camel crickets)
there -- we will probably need to contact pest control about them someday.

In addition, the window space where the orchids are, where the humidity
meter is, this window has quite a few orchids in very close proximity, which
raises humidity there. It is the kind of window with a window niche that has
walls on two sides, and over night we close wooden shutters that effectively
enclose the orchid area from all sides (window on one side, walls on two
sides, wooden shutters on remaining side). So I think the micro-climate in
this window is more humid than in the rest of the condo because of all
that -- I have not measured the humidity elsewhere yet to compare, but I
think that is so.

As mentioned in my previous email, we have not turned on the heating yet,
and I expect that once we do the humidity will go down drastically, but for
now the orchids are enjoying it.

Joanna

wrote in message
ups.com...
Where are u located that your getting high humidity?