Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 AM
Kay

Default red delicious apples

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
wrote:

Further to my Ida Red thread, I bought some Red Delicious apples from
a supermarket(sorry) and I have to say that it did not live up to it's
name ;(

Do home grown ones taste any better?

Apparently both Golden and Red Delicious can, indeed, be delicious
when you grow them at home. The trick is that you must eat them
off the tree - do not under any circumstances detach the apple from
the granch until you have finished.

We had a 50-year old tree like that (though it wasn't either), and
ended up using some of the apples for cooking and leaving the rest
to fall and rot.

I have a Worcester, and straight from the tree and for a few days later
the apples are lovely, fresh and delicate. But we had too many this year
to eat them straight away, and the ones still in storage are, frankly,
boring. I shall probably end up cooking them with lots of sultanas and
cinnamon.

In fact, I definitely will, now the Allingtons Pippins have come in with
their fresh, crisp 'straight off the tree' taste which they keep even
after being stored. And the Cornish Aromatic and Brownlees Russet have
got good crops too ...
--
Kay