Old 01-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Mike Lyle

Default Top soil

old git wrote:
Hi all
The Old Git here returning after the local council cleared my

jungle
of a garden, because my Solicitor told them to. To-morrow their

here
again laying top soil which they say will be seeded. I take that to
mean that the soil comes with the lawn built in. I was tempted to

say
"sewn in".

Perhaps someone could pass on what I should do when the grass

starts
to grow.

How much should I let it grow, with what should I cut it with and

any
particular care I should administer in the mean time.

[...]

If you get this in time, try to make sure they roll it. If it's just
spread, it'll probably settle awkwardly, and make life a bit harder
when it comes to the first cut. Ideally, seed shouldn't go in till
the new soil has had a month or two to settle. But it should be all
right: there's a big margin of error if you aren't making a crown
green bowling surface.

First cut, probably not till the grass is two inches high, and then
only take half an inch off. You can go shorter as the new sward gets
strongly rooted.

--
Mike.