Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default red delicious apples

The message
from Kay contains these words:

I have a Worcester, and straight from the tree and for a few days later
the apples are lovely, fresh and delicate. But we had too many this year
to eat them straight away, and the ones still in storage are, frankly,
boring. I shall probably end up cooking them with lots of sultanas and
cinnamon.

I've been looking round for a sensible place for an apple tree, and it's
not easy. The obvious spot is a no-no because it's right next to the
septic tank, and I don't want that damaged by roots.

Instead, I've a notion to take out the Lonicera hedge along the bottom
of the garden and make a sort-of multiple horizontal cordon matrix of
various fruits, apples included. The aspect is ideal, as the hedge runs
almost due west-east. I have in mind apricots, Japanese quince, some
sort of plum/damson which will take pruning and training, possibly a fig
or two, some mahonia, maybe a portugese quince, but no cherries, as the
hedge can hardly be netted.

Some of the fruit may be a bit small, as primarily it will be a hedge,
but why not have a hedge which is productive? I might put high posts in
and stretch wires above it, and have blackberries, loganberries, etc
trained on them.

One problem is the loke down the side - while it isn't frequented by the
population of the village, it might become a magnet...

Any suggestions for other suitable (hardy) fruiting or useful shrubs welcomed.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/