Old 01-11-2005, 03:36 PM
Treedweller

Default Y-Shaped Trunk in Young Maple Tree

On 31 Oct 2005 09:06:07 -0800, "powrwrap" wrote:

Treedweller wrote:

But, in the case of a small tree like this, I prefer to remove one
branch (the smaller, most likely). I think doing it in two stages, as
suggested earlier, is a good idea.

As for the deflection in the trunk, don't worry about it. It won't go
away, exactly, but when the trunk is 12" or 24" in diameter, such a
small aberration will be vitually unnoticeable. At worst, it will add
character to the tree in its old age.

Thanks to everyone that responded. Won't the deflection spot eventually
grow up with the trunk until it's somewhere overhead?

No. A tree grows by adding layers of tissue to the outside of its
branches (increased diameter) and by extending shoots at its tips
(increased length/height). If you put a nail in the trunk today 3
feet above ground, it will still be 3' above ground the day the tree
dies, unless soil grade level changes. However, it will most likely
be absorbed and invisible (buried in the wood that forms around it).