Old 01-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Timcat

Default CF Spectrum Question

OK...Thanks Elaine.

Tim

"Elaine T" wrote in message
m...
Timcat wrote:
Being an idiot, I couldn't pass up a really good deal on an Oceanic 40
gal stretch hex...without realizing the lighting difficulties. After a
great deal of research, I finally had to settle on a 130W Coralife CF
fixture to get anywhere near enough horsepower. My question is this: the
fixture comes with 1 65W 10,000K bulb, and 1 65W actinic blue, with 3
blue moonglow LEDs...Is this spectrum way off, or should I toss these
bulbs for a couple of 6,700K bulbs? If need be, I can slap a 15W bulb in
the ultra-pathetic 15W fixture that came with the tank, if someone can
recommend a good red spectrum bulb.

Thanks,
Tim

All I've heard about actinics and FW is that they grow algae quite well.
I've got a 10,000K bulb over my fairly deep 15 high tank (LFS told me it
was 5500K) and it grows plants just fine, with no algae problems. The
color of the light is attractive too. When the bulb fails, I'll probably
put a 6700K in to see if there's any difference.

So, with your fixture I'd leave the 10,000K in place. I'd replace the
actinic with a 5500K rather than 6700K to put more red in the overall
spectrum.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__