Old 01-11-2005, 02:56 PM
Richard Brooks

Default Making a cold frame

Amber wrote:
I have been looking about for ideas how to make a simple cold frame
(not very talented DIYer) Quite a few sites that sell wooden cold
frames have ones with solid sides and only the top is clear. Would this
not make it so that the plants would be shadowed? I am presuming it is
done for ease? Would it be better to make the front and top clear? If
it is not going to be moved would making the north side brick to allow
heat retention?

Thanks in advance
amber

You'd be surprised how heavy a frame lid gets the larger the area of
glass there is! The front is usually angled downward so the surface
catches the slightest bit of sun and the brick or solid front gives good
support to the front lip of the frame.

If you're using some sort of polythene then the weight is not a problem
but the plasticiser in the material breaks down and the whole lot turns
to a brittle mess up by the end of the year so needs replacing
repeatedly. That and birds dropping things through it! Then again, you
can add the polythene replacement to your yearly chores!

Richard.

--
Celebrate Diwali safely!

Keep an eye on those naked flames.