Old 01-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Sowing cranberry seeds

Jaques d'Alltrades wrote:
The message
from "middleton.walker" contains

these
words:

I will check locally for you to see if I can come up with
something...I know
that germinating them can be somewhat eratic and mostly are not
propagated via seed...but will do me best to come up with an
answer.....they are native
plants around here and within 1/2 mile of where I live are acres
upon acres of them grown commercially....a beautiful sight to see

in
the fall
when they
are being harvested....literally millions of them floating on the
water....H

Thanks. How wet do the conditions have to be, then? Our native
cranberry likes damp ericaceous peat, but I've never seen it

actually
growing *IN* water.

I wouldn't mind some blueberries the same size...

They don't actually grow them in water: they harvest the "cranberry
barrens" by hassling the plants and flodding (Flodding? This is no
time for Scottish history -- Ed.) er, flooding. The berries then
float and can be scooped.

--
Mike.