Old 01-11-2005, 11:46 PM
Wylie Wilde

Default Worms escaping from compost bin

Gday Len,

You're probably right with No. 1. It gets too hot in the warmer months like
now.

Now trying to convince the powers that be- that I have to move it.

Cheers

W.

"gardenlen" wrote in message
g'day wylie,

not sure mate i;ll check with we worm farm mate later but it could be:

1.. too much heat reackon with a brick wall and western sun you could
probably cook a roast in the black box.

2.. grass clipping are going to get pretty hot on their own i wouldn't
expect worms to survive that sort of heat unless you dry the clippings
out before putting them in the box.

3.. could be the wrong type of worms eg.,. night crawlers like
escaping more than they like staying put.

3.. also reckon worms work better with kitchen scrap sort of compost
situations with the box in a dark sahdy spot, reckon the stuff you are
composting would be ebtter done using heat in the initial stages heat
it will build itself let alone what could be added by the ambiant
temperature.

worms like it cool, moist and dark.

my thoughts like i said i'll ask me mate more later.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--