Old 01-11-2005, 09:16 PM
michael adams

Default Garden Yogurt, anyone tried it?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote after...

"Bob asked
| Anyone tried this product?
|
| http://www.gardenyogurt.co.uk/
|
| read one good report in the KG but how about URGlers?

KG have tested it on an allotment plot and are convinced, so far, of

it's
good effect.

Done some research into EM on the net and found these... (Effective
Micro-organisms)

http://www.ccc.govt.nz/Waste/Composting/EMGuide.pdf#search='Effective%20Micr
oorganisms'
(pdf file)

http://www.auroville.org/journals&me...vt_aug01_2.htm

http://www.emtechnologynetwork.org/%...web/about.html

So it appears that other countries are using it on quite a large scale,
strange it isn't well known in the UK.

According to the above, EM were developed in 1982 when Dr.Higa
at the University of Ryukyus, Okinawa Japan, discovered a
specific group of naturally occurring beneficial micro-organisms
with an amazing ability to revive, restore, and preserve.
He named this group E.M. (Effective micro-organisms).

However, despite EM being taken up a good while later, it might
be added, by disparate groups in New Zealand, India, and the US,
the technology doesn't appear to have achieved the kind of
widespread government and official recognition one might have
imagined it merited. There may also be the suspicion that many
of the principles of EM are already incorporated in existing
best practice, i.e. aside from one or two additions in the form
of specific substances, it isn't actually offering anything new.

While reading the above sites I was reminded of "Bio-Humigro"
a wonder substance from PBI, which came out a few years ago to
general acclaim. This was based not on micro organisms but on
humic and fulmic acid, important components so it was claimed,
in the composting process. This was added direct to liquid feeds.
It was even mentioned by Geoff Hamilton on Gardeners' World although
he never reported back with the results IIRR. Not having seen it
around for a while, just out of curiosity I looked up "bio-humigro"
or even "humigro" on Google. Nothing. It seems it wasn't quite as
wonderful as was claimed after all. Although something called
"humigrow" seems popular with indoor cannabis growers for some reason.

Just to prove my memory wasn't playing me tricks I had a look down the
shed, and there it the back of a shelf, there it was. With the same
dark brown molasses\creosote colour as one of the EM formulations.

Link to picture of battered bio humigro bottle -

http://tinypic.com/f5cbcm.jpg

I suspect that as with many of these wonder products - following

orthodox
best practice combined with the fruits of experience will ensure results
that are 95% of the best that can be expected under any circumstances.
While a wonder product might give a 5% boost. But maybe only where best
practice is already being followed, so that in other words there are no
real short cuts.

I too suspect it's effectiveness on a well tended plot but will await the
finding of the chap in the Kitchen Garden who seems convinced of it's

merits
after one season using back to back trials. He talks of much/many more
fibrous roots on the EM watered plants, better growth and better health.

The NZ site mentioned above is a government site BTW.

Sure thing. And Slough Library has just declared War on Iran

http://www.slough.gov.uk

Contact the team at Garden City Composting,
Metro Place Bromley.
Telephone 941 8830
E-mail

michael adams