Old 01-11-2005, 10:29 PM
Duncan

Default Quick Growing Ivy

"Simon Adebisi" wrote in message
.uk...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 29/10/05 17:07, in article
, "Simon Adebisi"
wrote:

What else would your recomend? I am trying to get more privacy on my
fence
qucikly.

Can you tell us the area in which you live and whether you want a plant
that
is a self-clinging climber, or one that needs wires or trellis to

support
it? And does it *have* to be a climber or could it be evergreen shrubs
in
front of the fence? Which way does it face and does your garden get
strong,
cold winds or is it in a frost pocket? Is there a flower bed in front

of
it?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Self climber would be good but I could put up a trellis. Was wanting to

have
a climber but no evergreen would be ok too. strong winds yes I live within
throwing distance of the river Tyne and my garden back onto it. No flower
bed at the mo but maybe later? Just moved into the house you see, all

grass
at the mo.

Which side of the Tyne are you on? How near the sea?

Here in Sunderland, ivy grows like a weed on a west-facing brick wall, in
the only place in the garden to get winter sun. The other side of the wall
faces the sea (about 50 yards away). Lonicera is doing quite well on the
same wall, but took a couple of years to get going. I've also got good
growth of a Passiflora next to the ivy. It survived last winter following
total defoliation by snails, so I'm quite pleased it's bounced back.

I'd get rid of the ivy tomorrow, if I had any idea what to replace it with
and not leave a bare wall. Must be something tolerant of salty
northeasterlies. I'm not optimistic that the passiflora would spread to fill
the ivy's space, as that corner is just that bit more exposed to the winds.

Duncan