Old 02-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

Default red delicious apples

The message
from Kay contains these words:
In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Some of the fruit may be a bit small, as primarily it will be a hedge,
but why not have a hedge which is productive?

It's an honourable tradition - in the Vale of Evesham, for example, it
was common practice to leave damsons as standards in field hedges.

In Norfolk too, though the tradition is for apple trees.

I'd intended just the hedge with no standards - being on the south side
of the garden, I don't want to make too much shade.

Any suggestions for other suitable (hardy) fruiting or useful shrubs
welcomed.

blackthorn, medlar

Today I went round the footpaths and found a little blackthorn and some
other stuff, so I can leave that out to make room for something else -
much as I love blackthorn. See what I brought back -

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/garner.jpg

One of the bags contains extra-large sloes or a sloe/bullace hybrid. I
shall molish sloe cheese with those. (I already have sixteen pounds of
sloes in the freezer - good year this one. Last year I found three
sloes.

Medlar(s) I had thought of and not ruled out, but I've never tried one,
so I'd want to before I planted some.

I'm just wondering whether to get some apples, pears, etc on dwarfing
stock, or just rely on pruning and trimming to keep the trunks in check.

--
Rusty