Old 02-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Vox Humana

Default Over Wintering New Rosebushes

"Gravelle" wrote in message
m...
I have several rose bushes that were just planted this spring. They a
Chicago Peace (Hybrid Tea Rose), Miss All American Beauty (Hybrid Tea

Rose),
Sunsprite (Floribunda Rose), and Gingersnap (Floribunda Rose).

What do I need to do with them now? In the spring? I live in Zone 5.

I would prune back any long stems that might break in high winds. You can
then form wire cages around them and fill with leaves or purchase some rose
cones to protect them. It is important to protect the canes above the
graft. Otherwise the top of the rose will die and you will get new growth
from the root stock that will be unlike the hybrids grafted to the roots.