Old 02-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Kay

Default red delicious apples

In article , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes

Medlar(s) I had thought of and not ruled out, but I've never tried one,
so I'd want to before I planted some.

They need 'bletting', ie left to go brown and soft, before using.
I use ours to make medlar jelly, a delicate flavoured jelly which is
nice on its own but also goes well with poultry or cheese. Friend of
ours is planning to make wine with them.

If you can't get a taste round your way, email me and I'll pop a few in
the post.

I'm just wondering whether to get some apples, pears, etc on dwarfing
stock, or just rely on pruning and trimming to keep the trunks in check.

Very dwarfing needs support - which I suppose it'd have in a hedge. Otoh
an apple on non-dwarfing stock has an immense energy. I wonder if the
balance is to get a stock which limits the vigour to comparable with the
other things in that bit of the hedge?
--
Kay