Old 02-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Hemmaholic

Default Bougainvillea in a container

A plants hardiness definitely makes a difference in it's ability to
survive less than perfect climates. The more "tropical" a plant is the
more likely it is that it would not survive outside of it temperate
zone. Also remember that not all plants touted as being hardy are
hardy in all zones. Something hardy in a zone 6 garden will not always
survive in my zone 5 garden.

Bringing you plant inside is probably the best thing to do to try to
insure it's survival and if you can grow a few other plants next to it,
this will help as well as it will increase the relative humidity in the
area around the group and keep the potting mix from drying out too
quickly.

As I stated in my previous post, place the plant in the brightest
window you have and keep the soil moist (but not soggy). After all the
bloom is spent, prune the plant back, reduce water to keep the plant
barely moist and if you can keep the room it is in a little on the cool
side (65 -68 degrees), this will also help. The cooler temps will keep
the plant in a "resting" mode and not encourage an abundance of soft
new growth.. When you are able to put the plant back outside, resume
regular watering and fertilizing to encourage new growth and flower
production.

Hope this helps.

Hemma