Old 02-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Travis

Default Moving Bamboo

Claire Burton wrote:
My bamboo has died after moving it will it grow back?
"ems" wrote in message
. ..
W just recently sold our house in Portland OR. Although
everyone
told us we should remove the bamboo grove I have ben tending
in
the back yard prior to putting the house on the market
because it
would scare prospective buyers off, we did not, and it became
one
of the house's hottest selling points. I put a clause in the
contract that I could claim a couple of samples from the
bamboo
grove for our new place and a couple of weeks ago, we went
over
and dug some up. Due to some nice new rhizomes in a slightly
rasied area and some nice soft soil, we got a nice stand of
Phyllostachys aurea, about an inch thick and several mature
stalks of Phyllostachys dulcis about two inches thick, along
with
sizable root balls. We also ended up taking two large and
seemingly vibrant root balls of the dulcis with no stalks.
Originally we planned on cutting the plants back to about
eight
feet for transport, but at the last moment we decided to
throw
caution to the winds and take the plants in their entirity.
The
trip lasted about ten minutes and the plants were back in the
ground within an hour. Now comes the question. Everyday the
leaves curl up like the
plant is going to die, and every night they open back up
again.
Ground is moist, drainage is good. What are my chances that
these
plants will establish and what can I do to help them along?
Lastly will the extensive rhizomes planted with no visible
shoots
have any chance of survival? Advice is welcome.

Eliot

If you die will you come back?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5