Old 02-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Martin Brown

Default cactus id

Tumbleweed wrote:

"bigjon" wrote in message
.. .

http://www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/worrisit.htm
(A cactus from Jim Warham - ID Please)

I have the same, I don't know what it is either, but it flowers thre times
a year and has about 30 flowers each time. It's in a pot 12" across, it
spreads about 3 feet up and across...

Any ideas?

That looks like a so-called 'christmas cactus' (several varieties)

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...truncatus.html

An understandable mistake. They are certainly epiphytic cacti, but I am
pretty sure from the flower structure it is an Epiphytum hybrid. You can
get a wide range of colours and forms eg.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/grant.../Cacticom.html
http://www.epiphyllum.com/

Zygocactus have a much more pronounce mirror symmetry to their flowers.

I like 'Jims cactus' lower down on your page, it looks like a trimmed
cucumber with a posy on it!

It actually is one species with a graft of another species on top. the graft
is a mutant with no clorophyll hence it needs to be grafted onto something
that does have it.

It looks suspciously like the graft is dead to me. That is why the root
stock is throwing up suckers from the base. I'd take them off and root
them down before they take too much energy from the scion if it is
alive. Looks like Hylocereus trigonus stock - slightly too sensitive to
winter temperatures. Don't let it get too cold.

Regards,
Martin Brown