Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 AM
OmManiPadmeOmelet

Default Any suggestions for hastening hot pepper ripening?

In article ,
GA Pinhead wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
In article .com,
"FriscoSoxFan" wrote:

Let me see if I remember my high school biology here...

I think if you put them in a brown paper bag, they will ripen quicker.
I seem to remember that the skins of fruits give off methane which acts
as a ripening catalyst for other fruits. The paper bag traps the
methane while allowing them to breath a bit. Warmth (such as a
windowsill) speeds the process.

Leaving them on the vine? Maybe try a brown garden recycling bag at
night? Would protect against frost at least.

Or, I'm just talking out of my backside

lol No, you are right... I don't think it's methane tho' but I can't
remember the name of the gass off the top of my head. Bannanas tend to
put out more than some fruits so you can put avocados, peppers or
tomatoes in a paper bag with a bannana or two to speed things up.

How about ethane?

Good job!

You can pull the plants up and hang them upside down, that'll work
pretty well. Other than more light and heat, not much.

John!

I just put mine on the windowsill with good air circulation.

Cheers!

--
Om.