Old 03-11-2005, 12:31 AM
Chris Smolinski

Default Any suggestions for hastening hot pepper ripening?

So you're suggesting picking the fruit, and putting it into a bag along
with some bananas? Sounds easy enough... thanks!

In article , Zax
wrote:

GA Pinhead wrote:
How about ethane?

It's ethene (old name ethylene). As frisco said, Bananas (particularly
ripe ones) and rice give off stacks of it, so that would be a good
source of it.

You can pull the plants up and hang them upside down, that'll work
pretty well. Other than more light and heat, not much.

John!

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

In article .com,
"FriscoSoxFan" wrote:

Let me see if I remember my high school biology here...

I think if you put them in a brown paper bag, they will ripen quicker.
I seem to remember that the skins of fruits give off methane which acts
as a ripening catalyst for other fruits. The paper bag traps the
methane while allowing them to breath a bit. Warmth (such as a
windowsill) speeds the process.

Leaving them on the vine? Maybe try a brown garden recycling bag at
night? Would protect against frost at least.

Or, I'm just talking out of my backside

lol No, you are right... I don't think it's methane tho' but I can't
remember the name of the gass off the top of my head. Bannanas tend to
put out more than some fruits so you can put avocados, peppers or
tomatoes in a paper bag with a bannana or two to speed things up.

Cheers!

--
---
Chris Smolinski