Old 02-11-2005, 09:42 AM
Larry Blanchard

Default Ground Cover?

Bill Stock wrote:
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

A half dozen E. tennellus took about 3 months to completely cover
the bottom of my 10 gallon tank. Since then I've "harvested"
double handfuls every few months.

Thanks Larry, what's your substrate?

I put in a whole 25 pound bag of Eco-Complete and covered that with
coarse sand. That was a year ago and I've only added mico-elements
since. I recently started adding the Fluorish Excel for carbon and it
looks like I may be harvesting more often now :-).

BTW, between the Eco-Complete and the plants I never saw any ammonia and
very little nitrite. I'm now overstocked and still only have to change
10% a week to keep nitrates within limits.

The tank holds:

1 male betta
2 male platys
3 corys
3 otos
4 small clown loaches.

I don't know how I've been so lucky, but I'm certainly not complaining :-).