Old 27-01-2003, 09:07 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default cyclamen coum

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:

Cyclamen coum seems to like:

a. shaded from hot summer sun.
b. not sitting in water during the winter.
c. very humus-y soil.
d. reasonable quantities of lime.
e. not baked totally dry in summer.

Well, in the position I have them at present, conditions (d) and (e)
fail spectacularly!

From what I understand of where they come from, several species
(probably including C. coum) are adapted to very poor soils and
near-waterless summers. I think that the reason they like a lot
of humus in the UK is for the drainage - with me, they get sand and
like it!

Certainly, they estivate quite happily and, if I recall, they are
fairly common in Crete - where it gets pretty dry in the summer
by UK standards.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679