Old 02-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Kay

Default Pomegranate from seed

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2/11/05 19:34, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
Glenda wrote:

Is it possible to grow anything from pomegranate seed? Any
information
gratefully received.

Only pomegranates, I'm afraid.

Shucks. Beat me to it :-)

A pomegranate makes a good patio plant, and mine seems to be fairly
hardy. The mild frosts we have had in the past 5 years haven't
worried it, and have got down to -10 Celcius briefly. It is also
very drought resistant, though it respond by dropping its leaves.
I have not get got it to flower, but it has very attractive flowers
in hotter climates.

You won't get fruit in this miserable climate. It needs a LOT more
heat and sun than we get.

I've seen it flowering beautifully as a border shrub in the Channel Islands
but never fruiting. But aren't there two kinds that one can grow in this
country - larger and smaller leafed? Or am I dreaming?!

There's a dwarf one, which makes a good bonsai subject. Chiltern sell
the seed.
--
Kay