Old 02-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Sacha

Default seed pods

On 2/11/05 22:21, in article , "Kay"
wrote:

In article , shazzbat
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , shazzbat
writes
Does anyone know what these pods are?

http://photos.wanadoo.co.uk/album/al...photo=38407479

My daughter brought them back from holiday in Cyprus. She tells me that
they
fed them to camels, and that she was told that chocolate is(can be) made
from them. But they're not cocoa/cacao beans, cos I googled.

Carob, Ceratonia siliqua.

Used as a chocolate substitute. The seeds are supposed to be the
original 'carat' for measuring gold.
--

Thanks everyone. I meant to add that the pod I cut open had been soaked in
water for a week, as they're like cast iron, and it stinks rotten. I don't

It makes an attractive little tree if you want to grow the seeds - nice
shiny bronze new foliage.

We have an olive grove in Crete which we might - might - build on one day.
It has 12 olive trees and 3 carob trees on it. I was asked by the Greek
Cypriot father of a friend to bring back some carob 'beans'. AFAIK, he just
chews on them and is absolutely addicted!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk