Old 03-11-2005, 09:11 AM
David Rance

Default The welcome message

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005 Kay wrote:

I've forgotten which site hosted which FAQ. One or two (like
"suppliers") must be badly out of date by now and should perhaps be
dropped anyway. What do others think?

I think that nugget hosted all of them (but I could be wrong) with
copies on some other sites.

I think usenet has changed - people dipping in for immediate answers to
one question rather than joining a group and staying around -

But I thought that that was the whole idea of FAQs. We shall probably
never know how many people did just "dip in", found the immediate answer
they wanted, and went away again without us ever knowing they'd been.
And I should think that the search engines probably come up with links
to those FAQs.

It would be interesting to see that site stats for the FAQs, but with
Chunky and Cormaic both out of action, we don't have that information.

I've seen only one message from Chunky in all the years that I've been
here! Cormaic is busier than ever which is why we don't see much of him
here these days.

OK, fair enough, if others feel the same way. Does that mean then that
we have no need of the welcome message any more?

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK