Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 AM
La puce

Default Herbs Over Winter

Gavin Bl wrote:

Hi
I have some herbs in pots in the back garden - mint (regular and
pineapple) and thyme (lemon and regular). What should i do with these
over winter, take them indoors, leave em alone, cut em back??

My faroutite plants! I have always left mine outside. I cut them back
for use in winter, freeze some (like basil and corriander because they
taste fresh then), the rest I dry. I protect the crown with some mulch
and bring my pots together in a sheltered place outside (by my back
fence). Make sure they don't get waterlogged because then they'll
freeze. I don't touch rosemary, because it looks nice with snow on it,
nor do I touch the bay which is in the ground now. My thyme are perched
in hanging pots and I leave them alone too. However I bring my taragon
in because in the past it has never recovered if left outside. I also
leave the ciboulette outside and fennel too.

Also I have some sage in the kitchen that has not been outside since I
bought it. Should I leave it inside over winter, or put it out before
it gets really cold.

What kind of sage do you have? Gold or purple? Is it a little black pot
from the supermarket? How big? How long have you had it? If you feel
the plant is weak (do you water it often or do you think it would
benefit from a bigger pot?) perhaps you ought to keep it in your
kitchen, repot it and offer yourself another one for your garden.
Remember your kitchen is going to get very warm this winter. Is your
climate temperate?