Old 03-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Pomegranate from seed

In article ,
Jaques d'Alltrades writes:
| The message
| from Richard Brooks contains these words:
|
| In a sunny sheltered position they will, allegedly, but they're not
| fully hardy, so you'd have to grow it in a container and wheel it out in
| the spring.

My experience is that pomegranates are muhc hardier than is made
out. The grow in places which get VERY cold in winter.

| Would the fruit be edible ?
|
| Some articles, for instance on growing oranges from seed say that the
| fruit will be awful.
|
| No idea. I've only heard that fruit has been produced, but where, when
| and how often and with what results I don't know. I'm going to try one
| under glass. (I do hope they're self-fertile...)

Oranges ripen indifferently in the UK, but the fruit is perfectly
edible. Given that pomegranates rarely even set, the question of
whether they will ripen is moot.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.