Old 03-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Kenni Judd

Default spacing out blooms

Pat: Perhaps I should have been more specific. I was not considering
secondary "re-spikes" on previously-bloomed inflorescences. This is because
we don't consider these to be "prime" flowers. While there are _always_
exceptions, we rarely see secondary blooms which are nearly as nice as the
primaries. But I can see how your practice of cutting the primaries
_before_ they bloom out could eliminate the energy expenditure of the
primary blooming so that it will come out in the re-spikes.

But it's a rare home-grower who will cut an even potentially viable spike,
foregoing flowers sooner for better flowers later ... Kenni

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
We sell blooming Phals year round. To maintain inventory we force from
late spring to fall. I turned off forcing 3 or 4 weeks ago and the last
of the forced stuff will be sold in late Dec/early Jan. We force based on
Wang's research which controls high temp. In the heat of the summer the
day/night temperature difference will be less than 5 degrees. Next summer
try placing a Phal in the coolest spot in the house. It needs some light,
but the light does not need to be perfect. If you can keep the plant
under 75 degrees you should see a spike in about a month.

This time of year we do a lot of spike cutting. Rather then allowing all
the plants to come in together in Feb/March, we go through and cut some
spikes all the way down. This time of year, most will respike in 4 to 6
weeks.

In late winter we will start cutting spikes half way down and reblooming
spikes. These plants will hold us until the forced stuff comes on line.

Pat