Old 04-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Norm Leonard

Default Locust trees

gman wrote:

are all members of the locust invasive? I recently bought one at a
local garden shop, but now am wondering if should cut my loses and
ditch this tree.

thanks

greg

zone 8b

For land managers/conservation biologists, the term "invasive" has a
fairly specific meaning. Honey locust, black locust, and pawpaw
(referred to in another reply) are all native to the US. If you live
within these species' native ranges, then the trees are not invasive
where you live. If you live in parts of the US where the trees are not
native, then they may in fact be invasive. ... The horticulture
industry is one of my greatest headaches. Not all garderners or
horticulurists create problems (I am one myself), but goodness! the few
that do move exotic plants around the globe.... Please check whether
you live within the native range for the tree you have. If you don't,
please kill the tree and any of its seedlings that you may know of. On
the other hand, if the tree is native to your area, I hope you enjoy it
and encourage you to simply treet the seedings as weeds. Locust trees
can be beautiful and the honey bees make from their blossoms is nothing
short of a gift from God.
~norm