Old 03-11-2005, 11:11 PM

Default my koi ate my goldfish!!!

well my koi top and sides feed too, but I agree, "bit in half" is not other fish, it
is the nymph stage of dragonflies or other "fish" beetles. And they take small fish
to quite a large size. Ingrid

Hal wrote:
I have koi and goldfish together and the big fish don't eat enough of
the little fish. I read what others say about big fish eating little
fish, but in my pond if the koi or goldfish recognize it as a fish
they don't eat it. They do eat eggs, but too many eggs survive the
bigger fish.

A koi isn't likely to bite anything in half. They are bottom feeders
and their teeth are back in their throat for crushing small shelled
animals they root/vacuum out of the mud in their natural habitat, like
fresh water clams or muscles. The front of their mouths only have
lips, nothing to bite, tear or sever. The suction they put on a
finger or hand can be surprising, but I never sustained any damage
from hand feeding.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE