Old 04-11-2005, 07:19 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default olives

"Shazam" wrote in message
eenews.net...
I have a couple in large pots which have grown well. I'm thinking of

putting
them in the garden. Does anyone have any knowledge or advice?
thanks
Jon

Hard to say not knowing where you live. They like mediterranean conditions,
warm wet summers and cool dry winters, soil pH neutral to slightly alkaline,
good drainage. They will likely die in heavy soggy soil. I have seen them
grow quite well in a schoolyard, with the tar playground almost to the
trunk, at Newcastle (on Hunter) that has mild damp winters and hot damp
summers and grey sand for soil. They were never tended in any way as they
were planted as shade trees. The local Greek and Italian community used to
gather the fruit annually.

David