Old 04-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Vox Humana

Default Please recommend Hosta gardens

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Ron said:

Hosta Hillside in Hidden Lake Gardens Arboretum west of Tecumseh,
Michigan
on M-50. About 50 miles southeast of Detroit. It won't look like much

at
this time of year, but there are hundreds of varieties of hosta.

I was going to mention that, but as I post about 12 hours out of phase
with everyone...

The hosta garden is wonderful in the spring, with the primroses blooming
nearby.

This time of year the dwarf conifer collection would still be worth a

look,
and the greenhouses.

Right now the leaves are really coming down, so it's even getting late for

fall
foliage!

I find that even if the frost hasn't zapped the hostas yet, by fall they are
looking pretty tired. The accumulation of damage from insects, fungus, sun
burn, hail, and foraging animals takes its toll. Conversely, in the spring
the foliage is remarkable when it is still pristine. Nothing says spring
for me than when the hostas start to unroll.