Old 04-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default The BBC's "Big Dig" Mystery

In article ,
Nick Maclaren wrote:

You absolutely CAN'T transmit N bits/sec of independent information
on frequencies less than N cycles/sec apart, HOWEVER you do it, because
they will interfere with one another.

Sorry, just in case we have a REAL mathematical pedant following this
thread, I should have said:

You absolutely CAN'T transmit N bits/sec of independent information
on a large number of frequencies, with the separation of each from
its neighbours in frequency less than N cycles/sec apart, HOWEVER
you do it, because they will interfere with one another.

You can do it for two close frequencies, with great difficulty.

This has now diverged so far from gardening that even I shall call
a halt :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.