Old 04-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Tumbleweed

Default cactus id

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Tumbleweed thisaccountnever
writes

"Kay" wrote in message

I've only ever seen 'Christmas cactus' applied to
Zugocactus/Schlumbergia which has smaller and more tubular flowers than
the one pictured - in other words, I don't think it is a Christmas
cactus at all.

As its a popular name with no precise definition it can be appled to a
wide
range of plants, a google even shows a reference to opuntia!!

Can we agree, though, that it's definitely not a
Zygocactus/Schlumbergia?

From a single out of focus picture taken head on? There is no way of
knowing, with all the hybrids about there is a huge range of variation. The
single picture certainly isnt good enough quality to tell. 'Holiday cactus'
is probably as much as you'd get agreement on :-)

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com