Old 04-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Alexander Fraser

Default Help identify a Ficus?

I just bought a malsai ($5 ... i couldn't refuse) and managed to rescue it.
I've put it in new soil, a better pot and am already seeing new growth.

But of course, the folks at the store had no idea what kind of Ficus it is.

Perhaps you can help identify it ...

Please excuse my lack of terminology-awareness.

The bark is dark brown, spotted by cherry-bark-like dashes of lighter color.

The leaves, when mature, are 1 - 1.5 inches long. They are dark green and
thin. They have a smooth texture to them.

The main point of the entire bonsai is the main root, which is one massive
taproot (MUCH thicker than the other branches on the tree) with minor
capillary roots at the base and some roots diving down into the soil from
above the surface. Air roots, I believe they're called.

Anyways, if you could help identify this, I'd appreciate it.

--
Regards,

Alexander Fraser
North of Toronto, Canada