Old 04-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Carol-Ann

Default Frog development

wrote in message
oups.com...
Ahem, ribit. Anyone know much about frogs out there?

Last May I put 3 large tadpoles from the pet store into my 400 gallon
pond, here in San Francisco. They are rana pipiens, and I was told
they'd develop into frogs by August. Well, here in early November,
they look pretty much like large tadpoles still. One has larger (rear)
legs, but I don't see any development of front legs.

## Some take 2 years to develop and leave the water as frogs.

Last weekend I went to a different pet store to replenish my supply of
elodea plants, which the local raccoons think is a delicacy. There
were small frogs there (from Japan I was told) and I purchased 2, let
them go, and they've quickly disappeared,

## It is ILLEGAL to turn lose many critters from other countries, here in
the USA. Please be careful of what you turn loose.

which I expected to happen.
Anyway, the owner of this pet store says that tadpoles won't develop
into frogs unless the water level gets low, and they're forced to.

## That isn't true. Always be suspicious of what pet store clerks tell you.

Has anyone ever heard of that?

Thanks!

--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: