Old 04-11-2005, 02:52 PM
Helen Hartley

Default apple storage solution

A while back I asked for advice on storing apples cheaply. Thank you
everyone for your suggestions.

I tried lots of supermarkets for boxes and dividers with no luck at all. It
seems they use plastic crates and send all the cardboard spacers straight
back for recycling.

My solution has been to get 5 stackable crates from Argos (£7 -ish) and
layer the apples inside these with single sheet layers of cardboard (from
cutting up cardboard boxes) between each layer of apples and 'newspaper
fans' as spacers between individual apples on the same layer.

The crates are cheap and mesh style so there should be a reasonable amount
of airflow.

Thought I would post this in case anyone esle was trying to find a cheap
apple storage solution.

Helen