Old 04-11-2005, 10:40 PM
Kase

Default Blue Lake Beans

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
I grew this variety of french climbers for the first time. They taste

good -
fresh or frozen.
Strangely, half the plants have produced flat beans with a wavy edge. The
remainder are the rounded type.
The seed packet is Fothergills', generic style with no pics. Is this usual
for B.Lake? TIA

Bertie

I've been growing Blue Lake from the same packet for the last 5 years (it
was a big packet, and they are still good germinators). They are always
fantastically heavy croppers, in both the shaley soil of the last house and
the heavy clay of this one although they foliage is much better on clay than
shale. Like you say, they taste good both fresh and frozen. I've never had
any flat ones produced, always your typical French climbing bean shape (4-6
inches, finger thick, round and tapered at the very end)

I grew a slightly bigger crop this year - two eight foot rows - and have
managed to put several kilos in the freezer, eat loads (got pretty sick of
them if truth be told, almost as bad as the courgettes), and for the first
time I let some develop the beans inside and shelled them for eating - very
nice and tasted more like peas than beans. Also, in anticipation of the old
beans starting to fail to germinate, I let a load fully develop and have
dried and shelled them ready for sowing next year - wish me luck.

Kase

--
Great ringtones, games and wallpapers for your mobile
http://www.funkibug.co.uk/

Remove YOURPANTS before replying