Old 05-11-2005, 07:29 PM
Eric Bause

Default End of Season Black Spot Defoliation

I am a rose newbie living in zone 6b who planted six baby roses bushes in
window boxes on a deck. I learned about black spots the hard way.
Spraying weekly with a product called Green Light Rose Defense helped.
During the initial black spot attacks, the plants were getting full sun all
day and new leaves quickly sprouted.

In mid October there was an entire week of rain that trailed off into
drizzle and mist. All of the plant save two were completely coverd in black
spots. They now only get full sun in the morning. All of the leaves have
fallen off and the remaining bud withered and died. The remaining bare
kanes do not look dead. Are they going to die? I had been planning on
digging them up when they went dormant and sheltering them in the attic for
the winter. Can they be salvaged or should I give up on them?

Thanks in advance for any advice.