Old 05-11-2005, 02:24 PM
J Fortuna

Default Couple of beginner questions

Ray,
You are much more likely right than I am, since you know so much more about
orchids than I do. So the wiry roots are dead? Hmm, good to know. When I
learned how to repot Phals, I was told to leave the ones that only had wiry
cores left as well, but maybe as you say the idea was to provide additional
mechanical anchor.
Joanna

"Ray" wrote in message
. ..
I may be wrong (I don't think so, but you never know), but if the root has
lost its fleshy part, and all you're left with is the "wiry core", they

are
not "OK", but certainly are "less healthy", they're dead!

They might function to provide a mechanical anchor when repotting, but

they
do nothing as far as absorbing water or nutrition for the plant.