Old 05-11-2005, 08:54 PM
C. Berlin

Default Couple of beginner questions

"Munir" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently repotted four phals and encountered roots in different
conditions:

1) Greenish white, aerial roots, sticking out of the pot. I was careful
to mentally earmark these so that, in the new pot, they are not put
into the bark put left aerial--outside the potting material.

I'm also just beginning, and took an excellent class given by one of the
experts from the local orchid society. This class included everyone getting
an overgrown phal, with roots going everywhere, and repotting it. The
instructor (a past president of this group, who brought in fabulous examples
of things she's growing) indicated that we should stuff all the "aerial
roots" into the potting medium in the new pot, so that none were sticking
out when we were done. I gathered from this that the roots are very
adaptive, whether they're inside the pot or outside, and can take up
moisture and nutrients easily even if shifted from "out" to "in." Is this
incorrect?
Thanks for any insights here.