Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Bob Hobden

Default hayter mowers

"H Ryder" wrote
We are looking for a petrol mower (we think) for our lawn - the garden is
supposedly just under 1/4 acre and contains beds as well as lawns. We
think
that we want a roller as this apparently will make it possible to avoid
having to strim the (many) edges. We also think that we want aluminium as
we
are not brilliant at cleaning things. At the moment we seem to have got it
down to either a Hayter Hawk at about £300 or a Hayter Harrier 41 at about
£360 (both these are online prices). However we are not sure what the
difference is? Could anyone give us any advice please? We'd like to know:

are petrol ones a good choice for us - lawn is reasonably level but a bit
bumpy, it is often damp, we cut it about once a week or so and are not
after
a bowling green but we do have a lot of edges.

are hayter as good as we'd been told?

is aluminium worth paying extra for?

does getting a self propelled one make life hugely easier? (hubby will do
the bulk of the mowing and is quite "hefty"). we are also not sure that we
could afford self propelled.

and what is the difference between the hawk and the harrier?

and are online suppliers any good?

thanks in advance,

We have a Hayter 41 Electric mower that we inherited from my Mum a good many
years ago, still as good as new, excellent machines and parts are available
from any good Mower shop if they are needed. You won't go wrong with a
Hayter.
Personally I would always go for a petrol tool over electric as I can then
use them where there is no electricity like on the allotments, and anyway,
I don't then have a long cord to worry about. Again, personal choice.
The Hayter 41 (cm) also comes as 48cm and 56 cm widths, they all come in
push, variable speed autodrive (vsa), and vsa with electric start, so you
pays your money and makes your choice.
http://www.hayter.co.uk/pages/consum...harriers.mhtml
Personally the ordinary "push" would do you by the sound of it as the self
propelled can be difficult to manoeuvre in tight corners.

Can't find the Hawk on the Hayter site so can't tell you the difference.

For a supplier I would suggest looking in your local Yellow Pages for a
Garden Equipment supplier and go visit, you will then see, feel and
understand the differences between the mowers and get expert advice. For a
couple of pounds more you get real service if my experience is anything to
go by.

--
Regards
Bob