Old 06-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default seed pods

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
"middleton.walker" wrote in message

In my view, carob 'chocolate'
would taste delicious only after you have starved in the desert for
some considerable time, and had run out of real locusts.

And the Kendal mint cake and Mars bars that you'd packed to be on the
safe side?

Heck, yes. And even the iron rations.

It is all 'personal'...I remember my favourite many years ago were the
tinned choc rations made for the armed services..filled with vitamins
etc....a meal by themselves...at the time I was in the production control
dept. of Rowntrees and could sample as much as I wanted as a member of the
company 'tasting panel'....H

That would be the tin with 5 bars of chocolate surrounded by boiled sweets,
yes? I remember it well.

And the cheese possessed, but that probably didn't come from Rowntrees

Yes. And it is that sort of thing I was thinking of. Like the
approximation to corned beef, which has destroyed the market for
the decent quality stuff in the UK for over half a century.

Middleton Walker is partly right - a lot of it is personal - but
there are some near absolutes. NOBODY likes the coarser yams or
undercooked mealie meal porridge, not even people who have lived
on them for generations. And carob runs that close, which is why,
in the countries it is grown, it is fed to camels and other stock.

My belief is that the chattering classes that claim it is as good
as chocolate are "being positive" to convince themselves, so that
they don't gag on it. But mortifying the flesh is an old activity,
and I have no objection when it is done by consenting adults in
private :-)

Yeah. I am prejudiced. I ate that stuff once, judged it according
to my lights, and refused it a chance to appeal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.