Old 06-11-2005, 07:51 PM
shazzbat

Default onions & stem rot

"keith ;-)" wrote in message
I have lost all but a few of my stuttgarter giant & red baron to stem rot,
mould on top of onions were the stem is.I bent some of the stems over &
others let die back on there own.Then left them on the surface to dry for
week or so.After I tied them by there stems and have been keeping them
hanging in the shed.But they have slowly deteriorated.
What have I done wrong?I was really pleased by the onions I got but have
lost most of them, I would like to grow them next year as apart from this
found them a easy & enjoyable crop to grow.
Thanks Keith

I would say leave them to fully dry off, ie until the stem leaves are brown
and crisp, before stringing them up.

Your shed may also be a bit on the damp side, sheds are like that. And you
have to keep checking them for any which are going soft or mouldy etc, as
they infect the rest. I'm assuming you didn't use any chemical
pesticides/fungicides on them, therefore they aren't pest/fungus proof.

Steve