Old 07-11-2005, 10:18 AM
presley

Default olives

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in
Hard to say not knowing where you live. They like mediterranean
conditions,
warm wet summers and cool dry winters, soil pH neutral to slightly
alkaline,
good drainage. They will likely die in heavy soggy soil. I have seen
them
grow quite well in a schoolyard, with the tar playground almost to the
trunk, at Newcastle (on Hunter) that has mild damp winters and hot damp
summers and grey sand for soil.

Well, I have never seen Mediterranean conditions as described above. The
usual description of Mediterranean conditions is cool damp winters with
warm/hot/and dry summers - and these would be the conditions of Greece and
Italy, where olives probably originated.