Old 07-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Carol-Ann

Default my koi ate my goldfish!!!

"Ohm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Matt,
Sorry for your lose. Congratualtions for your successful first time
hatch. I like mine (fantail comet) to hatch also, but unfortunately I
lost 3 of the 6 i bought this spring. The rest dont even bother to
chase around each other or do anything sort of courtship. I am sure 2
are female and 1 male. And not sure they are about the age to breed or
not thought they are 1(could be a feederfish?), 2(single-fantail comet)
and 3 (comet)inches of length. I hope next spring then. Next spring Iam
planning to put them outdoor in a 2000 gal pond with some additional
Koys and lot of water plants, with a biological 100gal filter and
300gpm mag pump.
Sam

============================
Breeding is almost guaranteed once you have them outdoors. The more plants
in your pond the more fry will survive. At this time we're overrun with
Shubunkin goldfish fry. Breeding them in doors is too much trouble and
bother. I tried it a few times. It's not worth the effort.

A 2000 gallon pond needs a bigger water pump than 300 GPH. Also find out
what fish predators are in your area. A heron or a few water snakes can
clean out a pond in no time.
--
Reel McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: