Old 07-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Gail Futoran

Default Estimate on price - building a pond

"Cyde Weys" wrote in message
oups.com...
I live in Maryland near Washington, D.C.. Let's say I wanted to build
a pond outside for koi and water plants. I'd be willing to do all of
the work myself, soo ... how much would it cost? I know this depends
on how big it's going to be, so let's say big enough so that it doesn't
freeze over the winter (to keep the fish alive). If that's even
possible, anyway. Presumably I'd need some sort of lining material, the
fish, the plants, and a pump. How much would I expect to pay? And
there's probably other stuff I haven't thought of, seeing as how I
haven't done this before.

There are so many variables, not to mention your
own interests and preferences, it's impossible to
guess a price before you've made some decisions.

It's a good idea to buy one of those inexpensive
Ortho books on how to build a garden pond. That
will tell you what kinds of materials you can choose
from, taking into account your local weather
conditions. They also have information on fish.
Once you make your decisions, then you can check
on local (or online) prices for materials.

The Ortho and similar books can be found in
any large bookstore and home project stores
like Home Depot and Lowes. They cost
around $15, and are well worth the price.

Gail